Friday 19 April 2013

Me and MD

You may wonder why I go on about Muscular Dystrophy. It’s because I’m lucky to have a lesser strain (Limb Girdle) and I have the ability to shout for those that can’t; and if I can make a difference then so can you.

Spinal Muscular Atrophy is the biggest genetic killer of infants and toddlers. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the biggest genetic killer amongst boys and young men (only 1% of those affected are girls)


It is a heart breaking condition that is very much in the shadows of other high-profile diseases. We need to raise awareness and money to fund research. We are so nearly there, we know what the problem is, we now need to find a cure… for many, time is running out.

Sunday sees my younger brother (not affected by the condition) taking to the streets and running the 26.2 miles of the London 2013 Marathon. He’s doing this for me, my older brother and all the other sufferers of the different strains of Muscular Dystrophy.
Of course, I’d join him if I could. So, instead, I shout about it. Join me in wishing Andrew and all the other Marathon runners the very best for their magnificent efforts on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment