Thursday 4 July 2013

Move a Mile for Muscles

1 Mile… 5,280 feet, 1,760 yards, or about 1,609 metres, doesn’t sound like much does it?

This distance is my challenge, something I’ll need to overcome to raise awareness and vital funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign.

It really shouldn’t be a problem should it? It’s not far at all, fairly easy for most people. But I’m not most people; I have Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy. I’m lucky enough to have this lesser strain of the condition and therefore I’m able to help support this charity by doing this walk.


Spinal Muscular Atrophy is the biggest genetic killer of infants and toddlers. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the biggest genetic killer amongst boys and young men (only 1% of those affected are girls)

It is a heart breaking condition that takes away young lives and with all the help I can gather I’m going to try to do my bit.

I would like to make something perfectly clear about Muscular Dystrophy, It is a rare disease that takes away the use of the body, however the brain is never affected. So every conscience thought is there, every feeling of pain is there and every feeling of love and the bleak future is also there and very clear for the sufferer to endure as the body shuts down… There is no cure.

So you see this is why, for me, it’s an opportunity to help and also show others around me that sometimes, anyone can push their potential beyond the expectations of all.

I have responsibilities in my life, a loving and supporting Wife, three amazing daughters, nieces, nephew and two God children that all look up to me and it’s up to me to show them that you should never be pigeon holed in your life, never be held back from anything that you think is achievable. It’s all I have to offer, determination, grit and some might say I’m a stubborn mule too!

I am very grateful for all that I have, sometimes I’m even glad this form of the condition got me. It is a vehicle for me to help others and I can honestly say that I would not wish it upon anybody else. The relentless pain in your legs, lower back, shoulders and neck is hugely painful many times to the point of tears. The feeling of paralysis just makes you feel helpless, knowing full well what you’d like to do but your body just says ‘No’.

This is my challenge, it’s not the biggest thing in the world, to some it may seem insignificant but to me it’s imperative, desideratum and hopefully rewarding.

A mile for muscles, that’s all, just one very big mile…



Between 26 August and 1 September people all over the country will be moving an extra special mile to raise vital funds for research and support for families affected by muscle-wasting conditions.

http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/get_involved/fundraising_events/6716_move_a_mile_for_

No comments:

Post a Comment